Sunday, July 31, 2011

Behind The Scenes Tour Trickery At MNHM


If I told you that by the end of my first week, I was comfortably armed with the knowledge needed to give a tour of the museum, I’d be lying.  I was, however, comfortable with shadowing the many tours we had that week.

There were some daily tours I got to tag along on. During one of these tours I was unceremoniously introduced to the live reptile collection. One of the guides (he shall remain nameless) asked me as we approached the Ice Age room, if I was afraid of snakes. I responded that I was not afraid. “Great, go grab the big one there, please.” “Um...oh, as in right now, just  grab a snake?” He looked at me with a smile and again pointed at the large 6 foot Bull Snake named Jim.  Begrudgingly, I reached in and pulled out the heaviest snake I’ve ever held.   Right, not the first snake I’ve held, but put on the spot and a snake of this size was definitely new.  I went for it and held him for the visitors to see up close and even pet. They loved it and so did the tour guide.  Not long after that tour ended, I would come to find out that our “nameless” tour guide does not hold the snakes...ever. I was conned! I do have to say that I won’t soon forget one little girl that was part of this tour, she couldn’t have been more than six years old.  This particular little girl wanted so badly to hold Jim, she’d put her hand out so that he could use his tongue to smell her.  Before I knew it, she and Jim were fast friends! Leave it to a small child to put me to shame for my nerves that afternoon.

After this experience, I walked away with even more questions (of course!), why would a museum like ours house live reptiles (snakes, lizards and turtles)?  I keep hearing that Bull Snakes are good to have around on your property, but why?! On top of having snakes and a lizard, why have turtles?  What do these snakes, turtles and lizard eat?

Well, we serve as a small rescue for some of these snakes, some were once pets belonging to people that could no longer keep them.  Bull Snakes are excellent snakes to have around your home because not only do they eat mice, rats, prairie dogs -- they also eat other snakes such as Rattle Snakes! So you see, Bull Snakes are great to have around and you should in general, let them be. 

 This isn't Jim, but another one of our snakes, Sylvia. Sylvia is our amazing Milk Snake. She's quite the friendly little critter and loves to come out for our visitors to pet!

**If you DO see a snake while you’re out and about, back away slowly, unless you’ve surprised it (maybe by stepping on it) a snake bite is extremely rare as most snakes are not aggressive.**

No comments:

Post a Comment